Copyright © ES2007S blog BY Ramon (Jae)
Design by Dzignine
Friday, September 7, 2012

Resolving Interpersonal Conflict



Human beings live together in society and, despite community, it is possible people have differences, which is sometimes a source of conflict. Conflict is “a serious disagreement” [1] and interpersonal conflict is “an expressed struggle between at least two interdependent parties who receive incompatible goals, scarce resources, and interference from others in achieving their goals.”[2] No person can avoid conflict. This post illustrates my interpersonal conflict concerning my family and a gang of youths in my neighborhood.



My house is located in a commercial area where teenagers always hang out after school. Next to my house is a narrow street which was a clean and quiet place until it became a meeting place for young gangsters. Now they come here, hang out every day, strew the floor with rubbish, deface the wall, take a leak on the wall, and sometimes even defecate on the floor. These actions result in a dirty environment. They also make my plants die by throwing trash into my flowerpots. They completely change our peaceful and beautiful morning with green plants and clean surroundings into disgusting mornings with trash and unpleasant smells.

These kids study at one of the most famous private schools in my neighborhood. Generally, those studying at private schools are from a good and rich family. Therefore, they should be able to find a more suitable place for meeting and should not act like mentioned above. One of the assumptions is that they may want to meet without wasting money on renting a place (so that they can spend more money buying liquor, cigarettes, cool skull sweaters, and so on.) 

All my family wants is the area to be clean. Were they not to dirty the place, we would be fine with them coming here. Therefore, we decided to turn conflict into collaboration by letting them use this space and asking them to keep it clean. My mother talked with them politely, explaining what we expected from them. They nodded; however, until now everything is still the same.

After finding out collaboration would not work, we decided to use harsher methods. My brother yelled at them, which put oil to the fire. They left more rubbish intentionally. We told their school but the school ignored the issue. Then, we created an online forum concerning this problem with the hope that someone in the community might see this problem and try to solve it. Again, nothing happened. We also thought of telling the police. However, after thinking of the consequences that the gangsters may hold a grudge against us and, in the end, hurt us, we did not tell the police. We have tried a lot of methods to solve this conflict between the gangsters and ourselves so that we can live happily together in this community. Now we have been enduring this for more than two years.

How can we get back those clean and beautiful mornings and be on good terms with those boys again? Moreover, it is not just about the environment but it is about their future as well…


References
[1]Conflict,http://oxforddictionaries.com[Internet].Available at http://oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/conflict [Accessed 6th September 2012]
[2] Wilmot & Hocker (2010), Interpersonal Conflict, p.11

8 comments:

  1. Harsh methods do not work as you've seen from your brother's actions. However, it seems that your words fall on deaf ears too. The only way to resolve conflicts is when both parties have at least something to agree on.

    How about this, my 2 cents worth:
    *Note: it's not an easy task. Don't expect the resolution to be easy since it's a difficult problem to begin with. Having a plausible resolution is more than good.

    Ask them to do a YouTube collaboration for cleaning up the streets. You may involve their passion/interest by asking them to do something they like. For example: Rap, street dance, BBoy etc...While the residents of that area clear the streets and they end up clearing the streets too. Can raise awareness for cleaning streets as well as benefit them in their schools.

    Regards,
    Bryan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Bryan, for your interesting idea!

      Actually my brother did not mean to use harsh method. He was just angry and lost his temple when he saw those kids taking a leak on the wall in front of him. (They did not intentionally let him see but my brother just came back from work, feeling tired)

      Your idea is interesting. If we make this place for them to do activity, they may clean the place as they will value it. However, these activities will create noise. Sometimes these guys plays skateboard here, creating loud noise, which disturbs the neighborhood.

      Near my house is a park where there is a playground for playing sketch board and anything. The atmosphere there is very good as well as it connects to the sea. I do not understand why they do not play there. My mom has asked them but they said they preferred playing here, the small narrow street rather than the big beautiful park.

      This task is definitely not easy. :( Tell me again if you have got a plan :)

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Ramon,

    I feel really sorry for the way these ruthless kids have been treating you and your surroundings. I also think you have done your fair bit in convincing them to stop doing their activities because they cause a lot of trouble to the neighborhood areas.

    I can see that these kids are from good schools. I am not sure why you refer them as 'gangsters', is it because of the way they behave or do they have history of criminal records? Nevertheless their behavior is a matter of concern and something needs to be done immediately.

    One move on this basis could be that you can get some teenagers and children clean their rubbish in front of their eyes after they have dirtied the place. You can show how it's a trouble for these small kids but they still do not complain. I guess this will ignite their conscience and they might feel guilty. Instead of showing your anger you can just smile at them and make the place clean. It will be like an invitation to dirty it again. I understand this is very tedious to be done but in case it affects their guilt in any way, they will never do it again. Since they nodded when your mother spoke to them, I presume they are not very ill-mannered.

    You can also try being friends with them. Dirty the place with them for some days and later try to motivate them to move to the park. I guess my ideas are a bit not practical but we have tried all the pragamtic ideas Haven't we?

    Thanks Ramon for letting us know your problem. I hope you can find a solution soon.

    Aditi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your concern, Aditi :)

      You are right. The word 'gangsters' is too heavy to use to them. But, it is true that they have done illegal things, such as, drinking, smoking, and violating others' privacy.

      Regarding your suggestion, my mother has tried similar method before. She is in her middle age and she cleans the area in front of them but they do not even try to help! My mom has got backache after cleaning everyday... I feel sorry for her. I would like to try using kids as you suggest but where can I find kids? And I will feel bad for using kids.

      About your last option, where I should make friends with them, I do not think it is possible. They look perverted and I am scared of them! Moreover, they always get drunk and I do not know how to handle with the drunk. Additionally, I cannot tolerate their smoking behavior, which makes me develop cancer.

      I was typing this and taking to my mother via Skype, when my father called her, telling about these kids' dirtiness again. I wish I could help her. If you come up with new ideas, please let me know. Your idea will be a great help.

      Delete
  4. This is a very interesting post, Jae. You aptly provide key definitions, then you illustrate exactly what you have defined using the story of the neighborhood school boys. Yours is a clear and concise description, too, one that contextualizes the issue and the people involved and their differing goals. You also boil the dilemma down to the key question, which I appreciate, and you've received useful feedback.

    Thanks for your effort with this quality post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Brad,

      Thank you very much for giving me a visit and for your compliments. I still have to improve a lot! It is worth putting effort in writing blogs as I have mentioned in ES2007S role-playing. :D

      Anyway, do you have some suggestion to solve this problem? I would love to hear from you. :)

      Delete